Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Weirdest Thing I've Done Today.

So, I think I'm going to start a new and possibly recurring thing with this bloggy-blog called The Weirdest Thing I've Done Today. It might be better for my self-esteem if I just choose the weirdest, most awkward thing I've done all day and recount that single episode, rather than telling all of the awkward things I do in a mere twenty-four hours.

So let's start with today. Since the super-weird thing I did today actually prompted this blog idea. I was in a restaurant bathroom, attempting to close the stall door so that I could concentrate every fiber of my being on peeing. (I have a problem peeing in foreign places. The problem...is that I can't. I have to turn the water on full blast, count to ten, give myself a pep talk, squeeze my eyes shut--sometimes all at once. It's a very big inconvienence. Lemme tell ya.) (But lemme also remind myself that I'M ONLY RECOUNTING ONE WEIRD THING A DAY NOW. Rachel. Jeez.)

So I'm in the stall, fiddling quite a bit with the lock, because it won't fit nicely into the slot it's supposed to slide into. (That's what she said...?) After possibly a minute of frustrated attention, I suddenly find myself whispering--without forethought--to the lock. Now, this in itself is weird. But not really Rachel-weird. I mean, let's be honest. Ever since I moved to the city, it's like my weirdness is on the crack cocaine. I think it has something to do with the other weirdos here. They make me feel better about my own awkwardness. Which, in turn, encourages me to just let loose. Because I reassure myself that I'll never be as weird as them. But I digress. (Duh.)

The weirdest part of all of this is that I chose to quote a movie without even THINKING about it. I mean, that's weird, right? In a cool sort of way? It's equivalent to thinking in another language, right? Right?

I suppose it is decidedly less cool when I reveal that I was actually quoting a line from My Fair Lady ("C'mon, Dover...c'mon, Dover..."), but still. (I was whispering it, too. Just like Eliza.) Still.

Still.

No comments:

Post a Comment