Thursday, June 9, 2011

Why. Am. I. So. AWKWARD?

The Weirdest Thing I've Done Today:

So, in addition to my job as a waitress, I also work the front desk at a downtown dance studio, signing people into class. Whenever we get new students who have never taken class before, we have them fill out a new student registration form that also has a liability waiver on the back for them to sign. The following is a record of an actual conversation that just happened between myself and a new student a few minutes ago.


Older gentleman with slight accent (gesturing to liability waiver): "Eh, and what is this?

Rachel (cheerfully): "Oh, it's just a waiver that you sign for us, basically stating that you can't sue us if you break your leg."

[Older gentleman looks at Rachel oddly. Rachel realizes that what she just said may have sounded...odd...and reconsiders her choice of words.]

Rachel: "I mean, not that you're going to break your leg or anything."

[Rachel's brain makes the quick assessment that she cannot actually guarantee this as fact and decides that the leg-breaking option must be revisited.]

Rachel (hurriedly): "Well. You might."

[Older gentleman continues to stare at Rachel oddly. Rachel attempts to rectify the conversation. Naturally, she fails.]

Rachel: "You could. It's a small chance. But you could break your leg. Or something. Just...be aware."

[More odd looks. Rachel smiles brightly, as if this entire conversation has just been a figment of his imagination. Gentleman leaves.]




 I am so dumb. I am really dumb. Fo' real.

No comments:

Post a Comment